Case Study No.0001
A longstanding customer was implementing a new WMS system and needed
to replace their current wireless system used on the warehouse floor.
We not only had the wireless implementation expertise their WMS
integrators did not have, but also a product line that was reliable,
fast and easy to use.
Current 2.4ghz wireless system:
• was not 802.11b compliant
• was not fast enough for new WMS system
• was fast becoming obsolete
• Current manufacturer was purchased by another vendor and
repair parts would be hard to find
• Did not support 802.11b wireless standard
• Did not support new wave of software allowing over the air
configuration changes and program loading
• Battery life was becoming an increasingly bigger issue.
Employees had to carry extra batteries in their pocket to complete
an entire shift. Batteries were not being recharged or worse, becoming
• Current software was purchased by another vendor. New vendor
would not support old software with new patches/fixes.
• Did not have access point network management features
• Did not allow terminals to access different host types at
After customer’s issues were outlined, we realized a solution
could be put together with off the shelf hardware and software.
We installed a new wireless backbone utilizing faster, cheaper,
more reliable 802.11b standard. We put new terminals on the new
backbone that would not be end of life for years using lithium ion
batteries that lasted an entire shift. We configured the emulation
software for the new host. This new software supported over the
air configuration/program loading and updates, multiple host connections
and wireless network management features from a software company
with a history of great products and support. After the install/integration
was complete, the customer had a wireless system that not only solved
their issue list, but will give them troublefree service for years.
Symbol’s PDT6846 mobile terminal
Symbol’s AP4121 access point
ConnectRF’s Powernet gateway software on a Windows 2000 server
ConnectRF’s Twin Client software
ConnectRF’s Vision sofware
Back to case studies...